21 Day Fix

Monday, August 29, 2011

My New Found Freedom

A strange thing happened started happening last week. At 7:20 a.m. all three of my kids walk out of the house and down to the bus stop together to go to school and I am alone in my house for what felt like the first time.

The silence can be deafening.

I’m currently unemployed which has its upsides and downsides some of which are fairly obvious: Up side: time to do things that I want and need to get done. Down side: very little money to do the things that I want and need to get done. There have been some other perks along the way this summer. I spent the entire summer home with my three kids, we went to the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, went to the Great Lakes Science Center, we went swimming A LOT, we did things together had fun. Now they are back in school and I’m finding that being home is strange.

For most all of my adult life I’ve had a job either working outside the house, working from home or staying home taking care of my kids. If I was home alone it meant I was sick. If I was home from work other times, it usually meant one of the kids were sick or there was some sort of natural disaster. This is quite different.

I’ve been unemployed before but that was during a time when my younger girls were not yet in school so I always had company while I was looking for work, filling out forms, and taking care of them and cleaning up after them etc. and while I’m still looking for work and at the same time exploring options for working from home and opportunities to derive income through internet marketing this new found freedom is an interesting thing.

Earlier today I decided what I wanted to make for dinner, decided what I didn’t have at home, went out got into the van went to the store and bought it – stuck to the list and came home to no one digging in the bags looking for something to snack on. It may sound mundane but this is really a new experience.

I’m wondering how to adapt to this, I now have so much I want to do while I have the opportunity – a job could creep up at any time - so I have to make the most of my time. I want to clean the basement, organize the closets, clean out the sun porch, get rid of all of the clothes that don’t fit the little girls, organize books, and DVDs and clean out the garage and more. I want to throw a ton of crap away. I want to get the yard cleaned up, the grass cut and I also want to get to the gym and work out without having to keep an eye on the time. I want to work on my websites and earn some more income…where do I start.

So what am I doing here writing about it rather than doing it? I’m a bit overwhelmed. This new found “freedom” is a bit daunting – I guess I need to take it one step at a time.

If you stay at home – what do you do?

BTW: Anyone hiring?

No comments:

Post a Comment